Watermelon is considered a great treat for sheep, it’s not only a tasty and refreshing treat that they will surely love but it’s also an excellent source of Vitamin A, C, B6, Potassium, magnesium, phosphorous and many other nutrients that will keep them healthy.
Is Watermelon Good For Sheep?
Watermelon is an extremely nutritious fruit, which has very low fat and calorie content.
It contains about 90% of water, which is extremely hydrating. It is also an excellent source of vitamins and many other essential nutrients like:
- Vitamin A: Is essential for eyesight, skin, and mucous membranes.
- Vitamin C: Is an antioxidant that helps to fight disease.
- Vitamin B6: Is needed for proper nervous system function and helps your body to use and store energy.
- Potassium: Helps to maintain the proper electrolyte balance in the body.
- Phosphorous: Helps to maintain bone health.
- Folate: Is essential for the production of red blood cells and DNA. It is also needed for the synthesis of certain neurotransmitters.
- Magnesium: Is an essential mineral that supports many functions of the body including muscle and nerve function, cardiovascular function, and metabolism.
- Biotin: It helps in the formation of keratin which acts as a protective layer around their bodies.
These nutrients make watermelon a rich source of nutrition as it can contain as much as 8% Vitamin A, and more than 10% of vitamin C.
The health benefits of watermelon are also due to its high levels of beneficial flavonoids, carotenoids, and other compounds such as sugars, amino acids, and pectin.
It needs to be taken into consideration that this fruit needs to be considered a treat and not a staple food, although the advantages outweigh those disadvantages, it is still recommended for them to consume it in moderation since large amounts of watermelon can be excessive and lead to stomach upset.
Can Sheep Eat Watermelon Skin?
They can, as long as it is prepared properly. If the watermelon has been cut and washed properly, the skin of the watermelon will not be too tough to chew on.
Watermelon skin is high in fiber and can help keep your sheep’s digestive system healthy.
Watermelon rinds contain bromelain (an enzyme) which helps break down protein in the stomach. Also, it helps to reduce inflammation of the digestive tract.
Healthy Fruits For Sheep
Fruits are an integral part of the diet of sheep as they are fulfilling and packed with vitamins and minerals needed by sheep.
Some of the most nutritious are:
–Banana: Bananas are high in potassium and vitamin C. They also contain beta-carotene which is essential for healthy vision.
-Mango: Mangos are high in fiber and low in calories; they also contain disease-fighting antioxidants. They also have powerful anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial for the immune system.
-Raspberry: Raspberries have Vitamin C, which is essential for strong teeth and bones. Raspberries can be fed to sheep when the sheep is suffering from a respiratory infection or other forms of inflammation. They are good for soothing irritated or inflamed respiratory tracts. This can even help with sinus issues.
-Apricot: Apricots are great for the heart, as they contain antioxidant vitamin E and folic acid.
-Apple: apples are good for sheep as they contain potassium, vitamin C, and fiber.
–Blueberries: Blueberries are high in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. They have a high Vitamin C content and can help the immune system.
Nutrients Of Watermelon: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/167765/nutrients